The Doge of Venice
Right next to the Rialto Bridge, Sir Ermenegildo Rizzardini founded the Extra Doge roastery. In 1995, Bernardo Della Mea acquired the roastery and renamed it "Caffé del Doge". The name "del Doge" is derived from the Venetian heads of state who were only replaced in 1797 when Napoleon took over the city. Originally, the Doge had enormous power, but this was limited in the 12th century. He was elected from among the nobles of the Venetian aristocracy and held office until his death. The most representative symbol of the Doge of Venice is his peculiar crown: the Doge's horn. The Caffé del Doge logo shows this Doge's horn and thus adorns every product of the roastery.
The incomparable aroma of espresso
With the spread of coffee, the tradition of coffee houses began. In fact, not long after its discovery, coffee became very popular. The first Venetian coffee house opened its doors in St. Mark's Square. Since then, the smell of coffee has been part of the cityscape of Venice - just like the gondolas.
Traditional coffee roasting: Classico Veneziano
The popularity of this coffee and the passion with which Bernardo Della Mea drove his company meant that the production capacity in the narrow streets of Venice was soon exhausted. Therefore, the roastery moved out of the listed buildings and settled in Padua. The roastery has a first-class roasting system that preserves all the traditional "Classico Veneziano" processing method.